Deprecated: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in /home/customer/www/stompawards.co.za/public_html/plugins/content/jw_allvideos/jw_allvideos.php on line 73
Vaughn Bishop - GOBY
Global Organisation 4 Brighter Youth
In partnership with UNICEF South Africa, FIFA Beach Soccer Worldwide Foundation, Hitachi Construction Machinery Southern Africa and the Durban Regeneration Project 2022, the GOBY Environmental Project symbolised by a 5 meter fish structure, launched in July this year on Durban New Beach to address the issue of plastic waste on the KZN coastline, while educating South African families on the importance of reducing, reusing and recycling waste and removing plastic waste from our beaches. GOBY addresses the broader UN Global Sustainable Development Goals and facilitates priority sport development interventions for our children, including the involvement of learners to make sports equipment from re-purposed plastic.
The strategic direction for the GOBY Environment Project will contribute towards ensuring that our children get an equal opportunity to play, while understanding the importance of conserving their surrounding environment. The strategy aims to address attitude and behavioural change amongst the youth and includes:
1. GOBY ACTIVE - A physical Education platform which seeks to improve wellness for all learners at participating schools. The programme will improve long-term fitness, reduce health inequalities, increase social inclusion and raise achievement for all.
2. GOBY RECYCLE - the GOBY coaching team embark on a roadshow to Primary schools with the GOBY fish structure, creating awareness and educate learners on the importance of recycling and providing the knowledge on how to make simplistic sports equipment from plastic waste collected from our beaches.
3. GOBY ENGAGE - GOBY contributes to Asset Based Community Development through the placement of young people or Youth Leads into schools to assist with functions such as sports coaching assistance, writing reports, parent communication, assisting with the execution of Life Orientation Syllabus plus plastic waste projects.
4. GOBY EDUCATE - Provision of SACE accredited physical education training and methodology for educators.
5. GOBY COMMUNITY - GOBY partners with various organisations to assist with the regular beach and community clean-up operations.
6. GOBY INNOVATE - In partnership with Basic Education, GOBY will continue to add value to the Department's Infrastructure Development Plan through the provision of playing fields at selected schools. Adding innovation, the bulk of the playing field structure going forward will be made from recycled waste.
GOBY Environmental Project Impact too date in KZN: (4th Aug to 20th Sept)
• 58 schools engaged
• 12 050 learner participation.
• 76 Educators trained
• 6 510 Kms travelled.
• 296 Kgs of plastic waste collected from schools and recycled.
"I believe that play in every form is the right of every child. Safe and inclusive play and sports are tools for improving children's lives. They contribute to health, child development and foster peace and tolerance. Above all educating families on the importance of reusing, reducing and recycling plastic waste is vital,” said Vaughn Bishop, Founder and Director of the GOBY initiative.
The next GOBY roadshow commences on the 14th October targeting schools in disadvantaged communities in Gauteng.