Copeland Koorts - Ecosprout
We are extremely excited about the products we have developed as an alternative to mainstream plastic toys and hope that each of them will bring loads of joy to children's hearts and reconnect families whilst keeping our environment in mind! Our action plan is to get all the children of South Africa to sow & grow their own plants, focusing on edible plants helping to prevent our food security crisis from escalating and reducing our footprint when it comes to buying food when you can grow some yourself. (One plastic shopping bag less)
Each product has been carefully designed to capture the imagination of children and to educate them about growing their own plants. With push out plant markers, mazes, well-illustrated growing guides and a support structure for growing assistance, every child will be interested in 'getting growing'.
The kits have been developed taking our urban lifestyles of the 21st century into account by choosing plants that do not need hectares of land. We are giving families and alternative eco-friendly option when they are buying gifts and invest in an activity.
Our Green Footprint
It is our responsibility to educate our children about their environment and the impact we have on it.
As a result, we have gone the extra mile by selecting some of the contents in our kits to be as environmentally friendly as possible.
The Strawberry Popcorn kit includes a 100% Bio-based pot which is 100% Biodegradable
All the carton used for our kits are made from 67.3-80% Recovered fibre and meets the FSC Mix Chain-of-Custody certification requirements.
We use PLA (a plant derived material that is 100% Compostable) replacing the well-known ziplock bags where needed.
Only fresh heirloom seeds are used, and they are GMO FREE (not genetically modified seeds) and organically grown from South African growers.
As outdoor activities go, gardening is hard to beat for promoting well-rounded development in our youth.
Whether your garden is in pots on an apartment balcony, in a windowsill or in a garden bed outside, kids who engage with it are harvesting a whole lot more than fresh veggies.
Here are a few of many benefits for children and our environment:
1. It will encourage your child to eat healthier. By growing and engaging with your food children are more likely to try different veggies and fruits.
2. It provides moderate and engaging activity. Gardening tasks such as digging and raking exercises various muscles.
3. It will improve focus, memory and sensory development! Gardening is actually used as a therapeutic treatment as this activity decreases the cortisol (stress hormone) found in children due to our increasingly busy lifestyles. You can do this at your home on a daily basis!
4. It has a positive effect on our phycological development. Gardening with your family strengthens family relationships and has a positive effect on your mood.
5. It builds a sense of confidence whilst in a safe and forgiving environment.
Confidence in children is extremely important in order for them to learn and grow. The process of tending to a garden or plant and seeing it produce food takes time and patience, but the reward is a fresh healthy produce and change in social behaviour.
6. By growing something yourself using eco friendly practices you get a better understanding of what it takes to produce food and because of this realisation children and families tend to adopt more eco friendly practices like reducing food waste, buying locally produced in-season food, caring for our environment and respecting our eco systems.
We could give you a little extra but take this in for the time being and sow that seed!
I am the mother of two and wife to a lovely husband. I had the privilege being raised by parents that taught me the value and importance of growing your own plants to help reduce our carbon footprint on the planet. Since I experienced the benefits of doing so, I feel responsible to provide adults and children with information and fun growing kits to create memorable experiences of their own whilst growing.
Let us lead the way to a greener future for our children by setting the example and enabling them to learn and take pride in growing their own plants as they will be the stewards of tomorrow.
Be part of the growing revolution!